Newspaper Stories

Death of Mrs. Gilbert Sutphen

Gilbert Sutphen, who once dispensed drugs in Pool’s Drug Store, has for sometime been mailing clerk in the office of the Burlington (Iowa) Daily Hawkeye. Will Sutphen was boarding with him, and clerking in a provision store. Last Monday after the young men had gone to business, Mrs. Sutphen went to the house adjoining the one where they had previously lived, about one mile from the present one, to visit friends. A rather lively young man of the family, Joseph Hardy, by name, knowing her timidity, sought to frighten Mrs. Sutphen. To do this he struck the casing of the door through which she was passing, at which she jumped, and exclaimed: “Oh! My God! I thought it was a pistol!” Hardy said, Oh no; that was not a pistol. But he could show her one, and stepping to a bureau, took out a large Colt’s revolver, which he knew to be loaded, pointed it at her to frighten her. An attempt had been made to draw the load, but unsuccessfully; while pointing at her, the weapon was discharged, the bullet passing through her head above the ears. She was not conscious afterward, and expired at 3 o’clock the same day.

Gilbert sent a dispatch to her mother, living at Harding (Illinois), who went out, only in time to return with him and the remains of her child, whose checkerd (sic) life was so early closed. The sad return passed through Earlville on Wednesday morning. Sermon at Harding by Rev. Stoddard.
[Earlville Gazette, 15 May 1874. (Earlville, LaSalle County, IL).

Background info added by Charles Brummel ( : (John) Gilbert Sutphen married Hattie J. Shetters in LaSalle County, IL on 5 June 1872 and then moved to Burlington, IA, where the tragedy described below occurred. Joseph Hardy was eventually found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to one year hard labor in the Iowa State penitentiary. On 1 February 1880 in Burlington, IA, Gilbert Sutphen married Mary Ellen Bartruff. In 1891 or 1892 Gilbert and Mary Ellen moved to Aurora, Kane County, IL where they raised their children and where they are buried.

Albert COOK, who two years ago lived in Chicago, has been arrested at Minneapolis for the murder of his wife and mother-in-law at Compton, Kane County, this State, October 6, 1885. The Newton Press, Jasper County, IL July 27, 1887




Contributed by Dawn

DECEMBER 12, 1942
Page 1 &2


Soldier And Parents Are Badly Charred

West Chicagoan loses his life in another collision

The lives of three Elgin residents, MR. And MRS. AUGUST THURNAU, residing at Highland and Alfred Avenue, and their son, Corp. WALTER W. THURNAU, home on Christmas furlough from North Camp Polk, La., were snuffed out shortly before 1 Sunday morning when their automobile was struck by a Chicago & North Western passenger train at the Roosevelt road crossing, two miles east of Geneva.

In another tran-automobile crash which occurred at the Washington street crossing of the E.J. & E. railroad in West Chicago early this morning, WILLARD PELL, JR., 24 of West Chicago was killed.

The THURNAU accident occurred in DuPage county just east of the Kane-DuPage county line but the wrecked automobile was carried about 300 feet into Kane county where it burst into flames a moment later. MR. AND MRS. THURNAU and their son were pinned in the blazing debris and the bodies of the two men were severely burned although that of MRS. THURNAU was not as serious.


CORPORAL THURNAU, 27, a member of the 147th Armored Signal Corps at Camp Polk, arrived here last Thursday to spend a 13 day furlough with his parents, two sisters and a brother. Saturday night, he and his parents drove to Wheaton to visit one of his sisters, MRS. DONALD BENNETT. When they started home, shortly after midnight Sunday morning, it was snowing heavily, and the storm is believed to have influenced CORPORAL THURNAU in driving to Elgin on the concrete highways instead of taking a shorter route over country roads.

The automobile was traveling northwest toward Geneva and the train, in charge of CONDUCTOR E. BENJAMIN and ENIGINEER JOHN ALEXANDRIA was westbound. The tracks cross the highway at a sharp angle and the crossing is protected by automatic wig-wag and bells signals.

CORPORAL THURNAU is believed to have failed to see the signals, however, because of the snow and he drove onto the tracks directly in the path of the locomotive. The car was struck broadside and carried down the tracks for approximately 300 feet before being tossed to one side.


The gasoline tank was broken in the crash and the wreckage of the car burst into flames a moment after the impact. The train was brought to a stop and members of the crew and passing motorists went to the aid of the trapped motorists. The flames were so hot, however that they were unable to rescue any of the victims.

The sheriff's office and Geneva fire department were notified and DEPUTIES BYRON SCOTT, CARLL JOHNSON, HALE TREADWELL, and ARNOLD ESTERGARD responded to the call with an engine company from Geneva.

After the flames had been extinguished, the bodies of the three victims were removed form the charred wreckage. The bodies were taken to Skogland's Funeral home in Geneva and were brought to the Weiff funeral home in Elgin yesterday morning after CORONER L. VICTOR PETERSON had sworn in a coroner's jury. The inquest will be held at 8:15 tonight at Geneva. MISS JUNE THURNAU, a senior nurse at Sherman hospital, who has been taking a few weeks special training in Chicago, arrived in Elgin Saturday night to spend the night with a classmate. She was near prostration yesterday morning when she learned of the tragedy.


MRS. T. J. SCHMITZ, executive secretary of the Elgin Red Cross chapter, notified Camp Polk officials of CORPORAL THURNAU's death Sunday morning and arrangements were made to send a squad of soldiers from Ft. Sheridan to Elgin tomorrow for the funeral.

The THURNAU family resided in Crystal Lake for about five years before moving to Elgin last March.

MR. THURNAU was born in Germany Oct. 24, 1872, and the family lived in Minnesota before moving to Crystal Lake.

He is survived by five sisters, MRS. CAROLINE HARTMAN of Austin, Minn; MRS. MINNA LAY of Elgin, MRS. LOUISE BEYER; MRS. MARIE GUNTHER, and MRS. DOROTHY BRANDES, all in Germany, and a brother HENRY, also residing in Germany. He also leaves a grandson and a granddaughter. He was preceded in death by two brothers and three sisters.

MRS. THURNAU was born in Germany March 14, 1872. She is survived by three sisters, MRS. HENRIETTA MANN, MRS. REGINA HAGEL, and MRS. ERNEST PFLUEGER, all of Elgin, and four brothers, CARL MELDAU of San Francisco, EMIL MLDAU of Elgin, and HENRY and OTTO MELDAU, both in Germany. She also leaves a grandson and a granddaughter.

In addition to the two daughters, MRS. BENNETT and MISS JUNE THURNAU, the couple also leaves another son, ERNEST THURNAU of Barrington.

WALTER WILLIAM THURNAU was born at Heron Lake, Minn., Feb. 28, 1915. He is survived by the two sisters and brothers previously mentioned. His wife preceded him in death.


riple funeral services will be held at 3 Tuesday afternoon at the Wolff funeral chapel. The REV. HARMON J. MCGUIRE, pastor of Holy Trinity Lutheran church will officiate and burial will be in Lake Street Memorial Park. A military squad form Ft. Sheridan will have charge of the services for CORPORAL THURNAU at the grave.


PELL is believed to have been en route home early this morning when his automobile crashed into the side of an E.J. & E. freight train in West Chicago. He had been at the Elms tavern which is operated by his parents a mile out of West Chicago.

PELL is believed to have failed to notice the dark freight cars blocking his path as he drove along Washington Street.. The automobile rammed the side of the train with a terrific impact and the car then was tossed to one side of the rails. PELL's body was pinned in the debris and he was dead when policemen and firemen arrived at the scene of the accident.

DR. PAUL A. ISHERWOOD, coroner of DuPage county, will hold an inquest in the case tomorrow morning in West Chicago.

Besides his parents, PELL, is survived by a widow, one child and two sisters, ELAINE and JANET.

Funeral services probably will be held Wednesday although arrangements are incomplete.



APRIL 20, 1933 PAGES 1 & 3

Contributed by

Two Elgin residents-one the 30-yr old mother of two children, the other a three year old boy-are dead as the result of separate automobile accidents last evening and this morning.

The victims are:
MRS AMANDA SPORLEDER, 314 North State street, fatally injured shortly after 7 o'clock last night, when the automobile in which she was riding sideswiped a truck on route no. 5 east of Elgin.

CHARLES HAMILTON, son of MR. AND MRS. J.R. HAMILTON, 970, Lawrence avenue, run over this morning by an automobile being backed from a driveway near his home.


MRS. SPORLEDER was fatally injured, her two daughters suffered severe bruises, cuts and shock, and her husband escaped with minor injuries when their automobile sideswiped an Elgin Storage and Transfer company truck which was stopped on route no. 5 about five miles east of Elgin.

MRS SPORLEDER, was hurled against the inside of the automobile and her skull was fractured. She was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital but died a few minutes after reaching the institution.

Her two daughters, MARILYN five years old, and VIRGENE, four years old, both suffered severe lacerations, about the head and face and MARILYN'' back was injured. Attending physicians stated that both girls might have suffered some internal injuries and they were being kept under close observation today at the hospital.

WALTER SPORLEDER, the husband and father, who was driving the automobile when the fatal crash occurred, escaped with minor injuries, and was able to leave the hospital last night, after being examined by physicians.


CORONER HERMAN J. VIERKE, will swear in a jury and conduct an inquest in MRS. SPORLEDER'S death probably tomorrow morning at the F.T. NORRIS chapel. There were two trucks owned by the transfer company at the scene of the accident. One of the trucks was returning to Elgin from Chicago and broke down. C. CAMPBELL, 821 prospect street, driver of the truck, telephone to Elgin and another truck driven by HELMUTH WITT, 376 Jefferson avenue, was sent to the scene to tow CAMPBELL'S truck into an Elgin garage.

WITT told State Highway Patrolmen J.K. BAKER, AUGIE OLSON, HERBERT WRIGHT, and W.J. SULLIVAN, that he came to a stop when he reached the stalled truck. WITT said that he intended to turn around on the 40 foot highway and then back up to CAMPBELL'S truck so that a tow chain could be adjusted. He stopped and was leaning out of his cad to look for approaching traffic when the crash occurred, according to his story.


SPORLEDER was driving east and attempted to pass WITT'S truck. He apparently became confused and turned back into the outside traffic line too sharply, mowing into the side of the truck. His car did not overturn but was completely demolished by the impact. None of the occupants of the car was hurled out. CAMPBELL, standing at the rear end of this truck across the highway, and WITT ran to the wrecked car and aided in removing the SPORLEDERS and their children. State police headquarters here were notified of the wreck and our officers were sent to the scene with an ambulance but the injured motorists had been taken to the hospital by a passing motorist before they arrived. MRS. SPORLEDER was suffering from a gaping hole in her head and she died a few minutes after reaching the hospital. Traffic on route no. 5 at the point where the accident occurred was jammed for nearly an hour after the crash and state officers experienced difficulty in returning it to normalcy.


Running into the path of an automobile driven by ADOLPH ENGELBRECHT, 316 North Worth avenue as he was backing out of the driveway at his home at 10 o'clock this morning. CHARLES HAMILTON, three years old, son of MRS. AND MRS. J.R. HAMILTON, 970 Lawrence avenue, suffered injuries which proved fatal at 1 o'clock this afternoon. The boy was taken to his home and then rushed to Sherman hospital where physicians found that he was suffering from a fractured collar bone, several broken rids, a punctured lung and probably other internal injuries.

The boy was playing in the 300 block on North Worth avenue and ROY MYERS, residing at 269 North Spring street, tried to get him to go to his home a few moments before the accident. When MYERS saw ENGELBRECHT'S car backing toward the street, he warned the child to get out of the driveway. MYERS told EARL LANGE, motorcycle patrolman, who investigated the accident, that the child stepped out of the driveway but when ENGELBRECHT'S car was within a few feet of him, he started back across the concrete.


ENGELBRECHT had failed to see the child but felt the jar as the wheel passed over the boy's head and chest. MYERS stated that the rear wheels of ENGELBRECHT'S car missed the boy but that the left front wheel struck him and passed over the upper part of his body. MYERS rescued the boy and rushed him to his home. He then was taken to Sherman hospital, where physicians attempted to save his life. A hasty examination revealed that one of his lungs had been punctured and hospital authorities resorted to administration of oxygen in an effort to keep him alive.

Another child was painfully injured last night when she was knocked off her bicycle near her home. The girl was FLORENCE PROUTY, 153 Dundee avenue. She was riding south on Center street and the automobile, driven by a man who represented himself as an employee of the Chicago Motor Club was traveling north. The car started to make a left turn onto North avenue and struck the girl. The driver of the machine took the injured girl into her home but failed to leave his name. Police were notified on the accident and WILLIAM MONTGOMERY, motorcycle patrolman, investigated. A physician was called to the girl's home to treat her injuries which consisted of minor bruises and cuts.


MRS. SPORLEDER was born in Schaumburg on January 4, 1903 and had live in Elgin for the last ten years.

Besides her husband and two daughters, MARILY VERNETTE and VIRGENE JOAN, she is survived by her parents, MRS. AND MRS. HERMAN WILLE, of Roselle; three brothers, WALER WILLE and MARTIN WILLE of Roselle, and ALFRED WILLE, of Elgin and two sisters, MRS. ELANORA MARTIN, of Chicago, and MRS. HERMAN SPORLEDER of Schaumburg. Funeral services will be held at 1:20 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the residence, 314 north State street, and at 2 o'clock at St. John's Lutheran church. The REV. W.J. KOWERT will officiate and burial will be in the Lake street cemetery. Friends may call at Norris chapel until Saturday morning.


Open verdicts of accidental death were returned this morning by a coroner's jury probing two automobile fatalities in and near Elgin. One Wednesday night on route no. 5 east of Elgin, and the other yesterday morning on North Worth Avenue.

MRS. AMANDA SPORLEDER, 30 years old, 314 North State street, met death when the automobile she was riding with her husband, WALTER, and two daughters, MARILYN AND VIRGENE, crashed into an Elgin Storage and transfer company truck which was parked on route no. 5 about five miles east of Elgin.

CHARLES HAMILTON, three years old, son of MR. AND MRS. J.R. HAMILTON, 970 Lawrence avenue, was fatally injured yesterday morning when he was run over by an automobile driven by ADOLPH ENGELBRECHT, 316 North Worth avenue as he was backing out of the driveway at his home.

CORONER HERMAN J. VIERKE, conducted both inquests at the F.T. NORRIS funeral chapel this morning. The highway crash being first investigated.

WALTER SPORLEDER said that he was driving east and saw one stalled truck owned by the transfer company on the left side of the 40 foot highway. He said he also saw the red lights of another truck ahead of him but was watching the truck on his left. When a short distance from the truck directly in front of him, SPORLEER said that he realized that it also was parked in the highway and he swerved sharply to the left and attempted to pass it but his car was too close to the truck and crashed into the back corner of the machine. His car did not overturn. HELMUTH WITT, 376 Jefferson avenue, driver of the truck that was struck by SPORLEDER'S machine said that he was returning from Chicago when he came upon another truck owned by the company, and driven by CLAUDE CAMPBELL, 821 Prospect street. CAMPBELL'S truck had broken down and he asked WITT to take him to a nearby filing station to notify his employer. WITT then returned to haul CAMPBELL'S truck into Elgin. He stopped directly across from the other truck and stated this morning that he waited until several cars had passed him. He saw one other car approaching and was waiting for it to pass when it crashed into his truck. MRS. SPORLEDER was brought to St. Joseph's hospital, but she died shortly afterwards from a fractured skull. Her two daughters were reported resting comfortably today and it is believed they will recover.

CAMPBELL, driver of the other truck and PATROLMEN J.K. BAKER, and OSCAR OLSON also testified at the inquest. Attorney LAWRENCE SWINYER appeared as counsel for SPORLEDER and ATTORNEY J.J. DOWD represent the transfer company.

ROY MYERS, 269 North Spring street, working across the street from ENGELBRECHT'S house and a witness of the other automobile tragedy, stated that he saw ENGELBRECHT, backing out of his garage and shouted to the HAMILTON boy to get out of the way. The boy hesitated for a moment and then attempted to cross the driveway again. Two wheels of the car passed over him and he died shortly afterwards at Sherman hospital.

ENGELBRECHT testified that he was backing slowly out of his garage and did not see the child start across his driveway. He felt the jar of the car running over the boy and then heard MYERS calling to him. MYERS picked the injured child up in his arms and hurried him to his home. MR. AND MRS. WALER WALLACE called a doctor and the boy was taken to the hospital. WALLACE AND EARL LANGE, motorcycle patrolman, also testified at the inquest. ENGELBRECHT appeared at the inquest with ATTORNEY CHARLES O. SEIDEL.

CHARLES WESLY HAMILTON, was born in Elgin June 19, 1930. He was a member of the Cradle Roll of the brethren church. Besides his parents, he is survived by a brother, RICHARD, and a sister, EVELYN. Funeral services will be held at 3;30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at Norris chapel. The REV. CHALES D. BONSACK will officiate and burial will be in Bluff City cemetery.

Funeral rites for MRS. SPORLEDER will be held at 1:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the residence and at 2 o'clock at St. John's Lutheran church. The REV. W.J. KOWERT will officiate and burial will be in Lake street cemetery.

An article from a Dundee newspaper (Tribune?)...contributed by Barb Norbie


Binnie-Crichton Wedding Announcement

Dundee, Ill. January 11, 1878 one of the most notable weddings in the history of Dundee occurred here today, when Mr. Alexander Binnie, Town Assessor, married Bethia Crichton daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Crichton. Invitations were issued by the parents of the bride and a large company assembled at the Commercial Hotel at about half past 10. Here the ceremony was conducted by Rev. W.B. Millard. Albert Miller acting as groomsmen and Miss Jennie Crichton as bridesmaid. After the impressive ceremony and the numerous and hearty congratulations, bounteous dinner was served [by] Mrs. Zeliff, Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel. In the afternoon a sleighride was enjoyed to Elgin where Mr. and Mrs. Binnie boarded the train for Chicago where a reception was waiting for them at the home of William Thompson, No 800 Hubard street that evening. The happy pair took a tour to the East.
Some of the wedding presents were the following: Framed photo from Miss Jennie Critchton, silver oyster ladle from Dr. and Mrs. Sheppard; Silver fruitknife and fork, Robert Crichton; silver butter knife and spoon Mr and Mrs. H. Binnie; Silver napkin ring, Mrs. E.O. Hawley, Silver brickle-caster, Albert Miller; silver napkin rings, Alex Binnie Jr.; Set of silver forks and knives, Mr. and Mrs. James Evans; ladies shawl,the Hon. H.E. Hunt; silver butterdish, Daniel Critchton; set of napkins Mr. Henry Binnie and many more gifts to name just afew.

[Contributor's Note: Alexander Binnie is the brother to my gggreatgrandfather Robert Binnie and his wife Agnes Mclaren Binnie all of Dundee. (Born in Scotland). Alexander was 50 when he married Bethia Crichton who was 25 at the time. Alexander's first marriage was to Jane Wilson and had one son with her. Jane died and so did her son. Alexander went on to have 6 children with Bethia, all prominent citizens of McHenry county and beyond.] Barb Norbie at

An article from a Dundee newspaper (Tribune?)...contributed by Barb Norbie


DUFF-BINNIE Wedding Announcement

There was rejoicing and merry making at Gilberts, last night, at the residence of Mr. John Binnie, with Rev. Clifford, of Dundee, as the officiating high priest. John Robert Duff was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Agnes Binnie, second daughter of John Binnie, one of the most popular young ladies in the whole country side. A large number of the friends of both families were in attendance. After the ceremony had been completed, and the groomsman, James Duff and the bridesmaid, Miss Katie Binnie, had been released from the restraints of their trying position a joyous time was instituted and the light, fantastic tread, the evening until 11 O'clock, was spent. At 11 O'clock the company partook of the marriage feast. The happy couple, amid the wishes for success of their friends, left on the midnight train for Galena. Before they return, several places in northern Iowa will be visited. At the home of the bride, dancing and general amusements were kept up until daylight.

Following is a list of the presents received by Mr. and Mrs. Duff:

Grandma and Aunt Agnes Binnie, bureau; bride's father, camp rocking chair; James Miller, clock; Willard Cummings, silver pickle dish; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Duff, silver butter dish and spoon holder; J. S. Cummings, silver napkin rings; W. H. Duff, sliver napkin rings; Mr. James Binnie, sliver castor; Henry Fairweather, butter knife; John Duff, silver butter dish; R. M. Binnie, butter knife; Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Binnie, five dollars in gold, and that other thing; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Binnie, ten dollars in gold;, B.H. Binnie, ten dollars in gold; George Yoding, two dollars; Mrs. William Thompson, counterpane and towels; Miss Lizzie Binnie, pair of vases; Mr. and Mrs. C. Eatinger, set glassware and lamp; James McLean, pickle dishes Mr.and Mrs. Wm. Young, silver cake basket; Mrs. George Fairweather, parlor lamp; Willie and Bobbie Binnie, beautiful vase; Katie Binnie; lamp mat and toilet set; Miss Allie McLean, linen napkins; Miss Mary McLean, towels; Robert and Maggie Griffith, crystal cake stand; Ella and Maggie Binnie, toilet stand and towels; James Duff gold pin and scarf; H.E. Hunt, table linens; Mr. C.E. Hanley, pair of towels.

[Contributor's Note: Many of my ancestors, the Binnies and McLeans lived in Kane, McHenry and McDonough counties of Illinois. The original Binnies and McLeans, came from Scotland. The McLeans arrived in 1850 and the Binnies in 1849. My gggreatgrandfather and grandmother, Alison (Templeton) Binnie and her husband John came from Linlithgowshire, Scotland. Alison, with her children came to America in 1849. Her son Robert and his wife Agnes (McLaren) Binnie had 47 grandchildren and 21 great grandchildren. John McLean arrived in America from Glasgow Scotland in 1850 and married Alison Binnie grandaughter of John & Alison (Templeton) Binnie and daughter of Robert and Agnes (McLaren) Binnie.] Barb Norbie at

LEVY Golden Wedding Celebration Announcement

1855-1905 Mr. and Mrs. Charles Levy Celebrate Golden Wedding
[Unknown paper probably from Batavia, IL Oct 1905]

Contributed by

Charles Levy and Ann Frydendall were united in marriage Oct. 10th, 1855, on what is now known as the Weaver farm, four miles west of Batavia, by the late Rev. E. H. Gammon, of our city, who is still kindly remebered by many of our citizens.

The wedding arrangements in those days were somwhat different than now, and this one in particular. When the minister arrived at the home to perform the ceremony, he found the bride to be busily engaged in making cheese, and when he said with surprise: "Why I thought I came out here to marry you? Isn't there to be a wedding." She replied, "I must finish the cheese first, you step in and wait." So after finishing her task, she was soon dressed in her wedding gown and the ceremony performed.

Mr. and Mrs. Levy, like the young people today, took a bridal trip, driving to Kaneville, a distance of 12 miles and for the first time seeing the place, which at that time was considered quite a town. After one month spent at home, they began house keeping two miles east of Batavia, and after eight years they purchased a farm in the Township of Blackberry, and later on another one.

In 1888, they retired and came to Batavia, locating in their pleasant home, on North Batavia Avenue, where they enjoyed life in a manner few people do. Always active and industrious, yet taking many pleasure trips and seeing the world and thereby making the best of life. To them were born eight children, six of whom are living and all but one in Kane County.

They are people who have never aspired ? ? ? ? in their quiet way have done much good the world. An aged uncle was an inmate of their home for 43 years and received every care. Mrs. Nellie Griffin, was also given the care and love of an own daughter, from the age of four years, by these loving relatives.

Mr. and Mrs. Levy were both born in Schnectdy, N. Y. Mr. Levy Aug 4th, 1829, Ann Frydendall, Nov. 14th, 1835, the latter coming west with her parents in 1842, it taking them 21 days to make the journey to Chicago. From there the men of the party walked to Batavia, where they rented the farm, secured teams and went back after the women and children, reaching Batavia on July 4th. Mr. Levy followed 10 years later, hunted up his old friends from the east, and the marriage of this worthy couple followed.

The home was beautifully decorated for the occasion. Green and Gold being the predominating colors. The rooms were festooned in White and Gold, with dots of green foliage, while huge boquets of cut flowers were to be seen at every hand. The dining room was artistically decorated with smilax and yellow. The center of each long table contained a pyramid boquet, one of yellow Narsturtions and the other of golden Dahlias. A huge brides cake, decorated in gold, with the dates 1855 and 1905, was one of the pretty features of the table decorations.

The guests from outside the city, were entertained from 10 a. m. to 5 p. m. numbering 74, and were all served a hot four course dinner. After the guests were seated at the tables, the rooms and occupants were photographed and each guest registered in a neat little book, for future reference. A number of persons who attended the marriage ceremony 50 years ago being present. Neat Souvenir cards, with good cuts of the bride and groom were a novel and surprising feature that was highly appreciated by all.

A large list of valuable presents, among which was a Gold Headed cane and Umbrella, handsomely engraved Gold Clock, Candesticks, Eye Glasses, Spoons, Forks, handpainted China, Landscape Scenery, Point Lace work, etc.; were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Levy, by Mrs. F. E. Marley, in behalf of the friends present.

Guests from abroad:

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Levy, California; Mr. Peter Levy, Schenectady, N. Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Levy, Woodstock; Mrs. G. Catlin, Creston, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Lanson Miller, Atlantic, Iowa; Mrs. J. R. Cole and son, Geneva; Mrs. Seymour Perry and two daughters, of Kaneville; Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Griffin, Chicago; Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Smith; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Hardy; Mr. and Mrs. Seufert; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Levy and family; Mr. and Mrs. Krumlauf and family, all of Aurora

The children, with the exception of one daughter-in-law, were all present and assisted in entertaining the guests.

The friends from Batavia were entertained from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and enjoyed a pleasant and social evening with the bride and groom of 50 years, who looked many years younger than father time has recorded against them.

Mr. and Mrs. Levy are a genial couple, one that the many cares and trials of life have not soured or discouraged, and therefore one always enjoys being in their company. Light refreshments were served during the evening. The HERALD joins with their large company of friends in wishing them many years of health and happiness.

Return to Main Index Page for Kane County