A History of Mt. Pisgah Presbyterian Church
Early settlers and Members to 1818


Part of the Northwest Territory Trails Section
of
The Illinois Trails History and Genealogy Project
http://www.iltrails.org/



In the year 1780, Samuel Stevenson and Jane Gay, his wife, came from the fort in Lexington to live in their new long cabin, erected on the lands which they had surveyed in the new Kentucky country. Their home stood upon the wooded point of land just west of the present site of the church. The house had been built by Stevenson and his slaves, with the help of his brother-in-law, Alexander Dunlap and John Gay, and their friend, Moses McIlvain. In the same season were built the homes of Dunlap and Agnes Gay, his wife; of John Gay and Sally Lockridge; of Moses McIlvain and Margaret Hodge. These homes were within a mile of each other and each near to a spring of water. The grant of land had originally been acquired and the claim located by Samuel Stevenson. He and Dunlap had each married sisters of John Gay. These were Scotch-Irish Virginians, all from Augusta County.

About the same time, even earlier, pioneer Presbyterian famililes had settled in the region, the furthest not being more than six miles away. Among them were the Allens, Scotts, Evansees, Garretts (who came to Fort Garrett in 1778), Rennicks, Martins, Longs, Fergusons, Burriers, Blacks, Robbs, Elliotts, Watsons, Campbells, Howes, Steeles, Wardlaws, Youngs' and Stewarts. Another pioneer family, only three miles from the church, was that of the Wasons, who came out of the Lexington stockade in 1780 or 1781. At first, they were members of the Associate Reformed Church at Lexington. Finally they became members of Pisgahm Dr. R. H. Wason being one of its elders.

Three families of Stevensons settled here, none of them related to each other. At a somewhat later period, other names appear among the people of Pisgah. Among them are the Marshalls, Hardins, Richeys, Stones, Smedleys, Spencers, Youngs, Taylors, Berrymans, Miltons, Linghamfelters, McPheeters, Castlemans, Bohannons, McCroskeys, Scrogins, Stogdols, Coxes, Wallaces, Alexanders, Hedgers Wheelers, Worleys, Coffmans, Jameses, Halls, Andersons, Eastons, Carrs, Kinkeads, Armstrongs, Whittingtons, Aikins, Thompsons, Boardmans, Lytles, Waltzes, Fraziers, Burnams, Berrys and the Hamiltons.


The following are the names that appear in the Church records. No known record earlier than 1 January 1808, is known to exist.

1808

Moses McIlvain

Margaret McIlvain

William McIlvain

John Armstrong

James Ritchie

Jane Ritchie

Phebe Ferguson

Arthur Campbell

Joseph Robb

Mrs. Elinor Robb Logan

Alexander Black

Agnes Black

Agnes Steele

Polly Steele

William McPheeters

Hugh Muldrow

Jane Muldrow

Samuel Stevenson

Jane Stevenson

Mary Stevenson

George Campbell

Nancy Campbell

Nancy Kirkham

James Rennick

Mary Rennick

Lydia Rennick

Margaret Rennick

John Elliott

Ellender Elliott

Rebecca Allen

James White

John McMahon

Mary McMahon

Benjamin Stevenson

Mary Stevenson

Mary Long

Joanna Campbell

Margaret Stevenson

Mary Stevenson

Elizabeth Elliott

James Stevenson, Sr.

James Stevenson

Joshua Whittington

Mary Stevenson

Joshua Whittington

Mary Stevenson

Sarah Dunlap

Archibald Kinkead

William Stevenson

Susanna Stevenson

Martha Martin

Susanna Aikin

Mrs. Sarah Gay McIlvain

Sarah Gay

Abram, a slave

Lucy, a slave

1809

Nancy Kirkham

Agnes Marshall

1813

? Brown

? Brown

1814

Mrs. Mary Lackland

Mrs. Jane Carr

1816

Mrs. Mary Smith

Col. Tunstall Quarles

1817

Mrs. Mary Gordon

Jane Allen

Rebecca Gay

1818

Cornelius Hoolman

Jane Carr

Mrs. Campbell

Mrs. Polly McCullough

Mrs. Catherine Milton

Mrs. Frances Armstrong

Mrs. Nancy Quarles

Livy Bohannon

George Burger

Rebecca Burger