Established: January 16, 1836, organization completed in 1837
Named for Joseph Ogle, pioneer politician and Lieutenant of the Territorial militia.
OGLE COUNTY, next to the "northern tier"
of counties of the State and originally a part of Jo Daviess. It was separately organized in 1837, and Lee County
was carved from its territory in 1839. In 1900 its area was 780 square miles, and its population 29,129. Before
the Black Hawk War immigration was slow, and life primitive, Peoria was the nearest food market. New grain was
"ground" on a grater, and old pounded with an extemporized pestle in a wooden mortar. Rock River flows
across the county from northeast to southwest. A little oak timber grows along its banks, but, generally speaking,
the surface is undulating prairie, with soil of a rich loam. Sandstone is in ample supply and all the limestones
abound. An extensive peat-bed has been discovered on the Killbuck Creek. Oregon, the county-seat, has fine water-power.
The other principal towns are Rochelle, Polo, Forreston and Mount Morris. "Historical Encylopedia of Illinois"
OREGON, the county-seat of Ogle County, situated on Rock River and the Minneapolis Branch of the Chicago, Burlington
& Quincy Railroad, 100 miles west from Chicago. The surrounding region is agricultural; the town has water
power and manufactures flour, pianos, steel tanks, street sprinklers, and iron castings. It has two banks, water-works
supplied by flowing artesian wells, cereal mill, and two weekly newspapers; has also obtained some repute as a
summer resort. Population in 1880 was 1,088; In 1890 - 1,566; in 1900 - 1,577. "Historical Encylopedia of
FORRESTON, a village in Ogle County, the terminus of the Chicago and Iowa branch of the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad, and point of intersection of the Illinois Central and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railways;
107 miles west by north from Chicago, and 12 miles south of Freeport; founded in 1854, incorporated by special
charter in 1868, and under the general law in 1888. Farming and stock-raising are the principal industries. The
village has a bank, water-works, electric light plant, creamery, village hall, seven churches, a graded school,
and a newspaper. Population in 1890 was 1,118; in 1900, it was 1.047. "Historical Encylopedia of Illinois"
MOUNT MORRIS, a town in Ogle County, situated on the Chicago, & Iowa Division of the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad, 108 miles west by north from Chicago, and 24 miles south west of Rockford; is the seat of Mount
Morris College and flourishing public school; has hand some stone and brick buildings, three churches and two newspapers.
Population (1900), 1,048. "Historical Encylopedia of Illinois" 1901
Ogle County Courthouse
P.O. Box 357
Oregon, IL 61061
County Clerk - (815) 732-1110
Circuit Clerk - (815) 732-1130
Recorder - (815) 732-1115