Buthe and Lammers
Donated by ©Donnell Redlingshafer Wisniewski
©Illinois Trails History and
St. John’s Orphanage Edition of THE MESSENGER
By Rev. Frederic Beuckman
History of the DIOCESE OF BELLEVILLE
Published by Joseph Nicholas Buechler, Belleville, Illinois
March 1, 1919
BUTHE and LAMMERS
Mr. Joseph H. Buthe was born December 28, 1881, in St. Libory, being the son of Henry Buthe. He was educated at the parochial school, and then entered the business of his father, who conducted the store for many years at its present location. In this way he gained, from intimate contact with that successful merchant a wealth of experience, which has often stood him in good stead. He remained the chief assistant of his father until that gentleman’s death in 1911, and then came into the ownership of the business. Since that time, finding the business growing rapidly, he has entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, Mr. Lammers. He is a member of the C. K. of I., the St. L. K. U. V., and the Democratic party.
Mr. Buthe is the son of Henry and Mary (Schniederjans) Buthe. The father was born on May 2, 1851, in Westphalia, Germany, and the mother on December 21, 1857, in St. Libory. He came to America at the age of two years, and attended the parochial school at Westphalia, Mo., as well as the Jones Commercial College at St. Louis. He was for a long time the clerk and tailor for Rutter Bros. at St. Libory, and finally established his own general merchandise business in 1896. He was an influential Democrat, being treasurer of the village of St. Libory at the time of his death. His marriage occurred on February 11, 1879, his seven children being Henry, who died in 1881, Joseph, Mary, Conrad, who died in 1895, Theresa, Cecilia, died 1912, and Sophia. Mrs. Buthe continued the business after his death until it was taken over by her son and Mr. Lammers on February 1, 1913. He died on July 19, 1911.
Mr. Joseph H. Buthe was married on October 21, 1908, to Miss Mary Lammers. His wife was the daughter of Mr. Bernhard Lammers, and was born on September 14, 1883, in Westphalia, Missouri. She received her education in the parochial school and the Westphalia High School, and after completing this, remained at home until she was married. Her good education and her practical experience have made her one of the best housekeepers in St. Libory. The couple have three children, Henry J., Bernhard H. and Mary Theodora Buthe.
Mr. Henry H. Lammers was born in Westphalia, Missouri, on March 8, 1881, and had a splendid education in the parochial school and the public High School. After completing this, he worked for nine years as a stone cutter in Jefferson City, and also held a responsible position as time-keeper with a large construction company. In 1912 he resigned this position and came to St. Libory, buying a half-interest in the Buthe establishment. This business has engrossed him until the present time. He was married September 21, 1915 to Mrs. Theresa Hoff. She was a daughter of Henry Buthe, was born in St. Libory on February 18, 1890. Her first husband was Mr. Eugene Hoff, who died in 1910, and by whom she had one daughter. Her marriage with Mr. Lammers has been blessed with one child, Appolonia M. Lammers. Mr. Lammers is affiliated with the K. of C. and the K. U. V., and is a leading Democrat. He has served as a member of the village board, and in this capacity endeared himself to all progressive citizens.
The general merchandise business, established in 1896, has during the years of its existence been one of the prominent enterprises in St. Libory, and has constantly been a blessing to the public. So great a part has it played in all activities that any history of the town would be incomplete without giving it credit. It is still an important factor and grows in magnitude with each passing year. The ability of the proprietors and the energy with which they pursue their designs, has resulted in a very large business, and has made it extremely successful. They have the custom of many of the most influential persons, and are well-known by all inhabitants. Especially are they beloved by the rural community, which is certain to come to them for choice and profitable purchases, and to make the store their headquarters in St. Libory.
Return To The Main Page