Charles Jacquot

Belleville News Democrat January 5, 1963

Worker Killed In Dynamite Blast at Mine

Charles Jacquot, 56 of New Athens, was killed at 5:30 a.m. today
in a dynamite explosion on the property of the Peabody Coal
Company, two miles east of Freeburg. Mr. Jacquot was an employee of Peabody's River King Mine and the explosion reportedly occurred near a magazine. Mine officials declined to make a statement until federal, state and county authorities have completed their investigation. The blast mangled Mr. Jacquot's body. He was rushed to St. Elizabeth Hospital in a George Renner and Sons ambulance from Freeburg and pronounced
dead upon arrival. Later the body was taken to the Hull Funeral Home,
New Athens. Arrangements for the services are pending. He was born in DeSoto, Ill, November 28, 1906, and was a son of the late Emile Ann Jacquot nee Dietz. He married Thekla Vollert at Nashville, Ill., January 20, 1935. Besides his wife, he leaves two sisters, Rachel, wife of Charles Beasley of DeSoto, Ill, and Helen, wife of Al Lovercheck, Spanish Lake, MO.; and four brothers, William Jacquot of Royalton, Ill, Edward Jacquot of New Athens, Ill, Louis Jacquot of Carbondale, Ill, and Arnold Jacquot of Murphysboro, Ill. Mr Jacquot was a member of the United Mine Workers, St. John's United Church of Christ in New Athens, the Sparta acrie of the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Hecker Sportsmen's Club. Belleville News Democrat, January 7, 1963 Death of Coal Miner Still Under Inquiry County, state and federal authorities today continued to investigate the death of Charles Jacquot, 56, New Athens, who was killed Saturday
morning in a dynamite explosion on the grounds of the Peabody Coal Company's
River King Mine, two miles east of Freeburg. Deputy Sheriff Vincent Neuner said that one or more sticks of dynamite exploded in the cab of Jacquot's truck, parked near the powder house. The cab was demolished. Neuner said the explosion occurred between 5:15 and 5:30 a.m. A mine mechanic heard a noise at that time but thought it came from the pt. Maurice Kennedy, pit boss on the third shift discovered the damaged truck and Jacquot's body at 6 a.m. when he went to the powder house to check why Jacquot had not arrived with a load of explosives. Kennedy said that at 5 a.m. he saw Jacquot seated in his parked truck. He explained that Jacquot had not worked Friday and that he shined a flashlight in the truck and saw the New Athens man was prepared to work Saturday. Sheriff Maurice F. Joseph said investigation is being continued in an effort to learn how the dynamite was exploded. "We think that at least one end probably four sticks were set off", said Joseph. Mr. Jacquot is survived by his wife, Thekla, two sisters, four brothers, and five nephews. He was a member of the United Mine Workers of America, the New Athens Local 743, International Hod "Carriers and Common Laborers Union, Hecker Sportsmen's Club, Sparta aerie Fraternal Order of Eagles and St. John's United Church of Christ in New Athens.

Submitted by Regina Breeden Bailey

Return To The Main Page