13 MARCH, 1891

The talk of the town:  Electric Lights

Mrs. Louis Frey and Miss Lulu Lines, two well known young people were married at Salida, Colo., on Wednesday

Fred, the ten year old son of Mrs. Phillip Liebig, fell and broke his right arm at the elbow, while playing last Monday

Mr. Henry Hobit has purchased the meat market of Mr. Andrew Striegel at Nashville.  He will retire from the hotel and saloon business here and move his family to that city shortly

The remains of the late George J. Schultz, mention of whose death was made in our last issue, were brought to Mascoutah from Belleville on Tuesday, and buried in the Mascoutah city cemetery at 5 o'clock p.m. of the same day

Mr. George H. Steel and Mrs. Elizabeth Pralle were united to marriage last Sunday by Rev. Hempelmann, of the Ev. Prot. church of this city.  The newly married couple were tendered a serenade by the charivari? orchestra on Monday evening.  The HERALD joins the friends of this couple in hoping that their future married life will be fraught with all the commending excellences of bliss

Humboldt Lodge No. 3-- I.O.O.F., elected the following officers for the ensuing term:  Henry Appel, N. G.; Peter Nishcwitz, V.G.; Otto E. Goebel, recording secretary; Dr. George Lelbrook, permanent secretary; Fred Dathan, treasurer.  The following trustees were also elected for a term of one year:  Carl Montag, chairman, John Mann, Peter Schub, Adam Schaller, John Bell. The installation of officers will take place on Monday evening, April 6th

Mr. Lorenz Speiser, aged seventy one years, died at his residence, near New Baden, last Monday

The body of Valentine Mode, who was drowned while duck hunting on March 1st, was found in the Okaw river, near Venedy, last Saturday

Otto H. Liebig, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman G. Liebig, died on Saturday evening at 10 o'clock, March 7th, 1891, at the age of one year, seven months and twenty days.  The child had been ill disposed for some time, but on Friday, February 27th, it accidentally fell into a small basin of boiling water and was severely scalded.  Death, however, was not caused by the wounds it received from the accident, but from a disease it had previously contracted.  The funeral took place on Monday afternoon from the residence of the parents on East Mill street to the city cemetery, where interment was made.  Rev. F. Hempelmann, of the Ev. Prot. church, held the services

Mr. John Beck, a well known young man, died at the county hospital at 3 o'clock Wednesday morning, March 11, 1891, aged thirty six years and nine months.  About one week before last Christmas the deceased was kicked on the abdomen by a mule, and he was unable to continue his labors.  He was given medical attendance but grew weaker as time went on, and it was noticed that he was dwindling away.  He was given all the care necessary at the Eagle hotel in this city, but was removed to the county farm last week, his condition making this necessary, where he died at the above stated time.  He was born in Germany and came to this country with his parents when quite young.  His parents died years ago, and he leaves no known relatives hereabouts.  He was a member of Harmonia Lodge NO. 563, Order of the Harugarl, which Order took charge of the remains and brought them to this city.  The funeral took place yesterday. Rev. Hempelmann, of the Ev. Prot. church, held the services. The members of Harmonia Lodge attended in a body.  Interment was made in the city cemetery

Miss Emma Becker left for St. Louis on Tuesday evening

Mr. Henry Tu--ck left for St. Louis Wednesday evening

Mrs. M. Cuthouse, of Belleville, was in Mascoutah yesterday

Mr. Morris A. Margious was down from Trenton yesterday

Mrs. John Kasch returned from Mt. Olive las Sunday morning

Mr. Otto Foeller, of St. Louis, was visiting relatives here on Sunday

Miss Esther Ogden, of Rentchler, called on friends here on Monday

Mr. John Nickel, of St. Louis, was visiting his parents here last Sunday

Miss Mary Puschner, of St. Louis, paid her parents here a visit this week

Mr. Conrad Burgard, Supervisor of Fayetteville, was in Mascoutah on Monday

Mr. Julius Hoffmann, of Lebanon, was in Mascoutah on business last Monday

Mr. Fred Griesemer, of St. Louis, was here on Sunday on a visit to his parents and friends

Mr. Arthur Tuerek, who is employed at St. Louis, was here on a visit to his mother last Sunday

Mr. Philip Mager, of St. Louis, was in Mascoutah last Sunday, visiting his brother Mr. Henry Mager

Mr. George Meyer, Jr., came home from St. Louis on Sunday evening and will remain for three weeks

Mr. Sol. Spiedloch and family, of St. Louis, were visitors with Mr. Meyer Margious and family, on Sunday

Mrs. J. G. Schaaf and Mrs. Lellich, of St. Louis, were the guests of Alderman and Mrs. John Brickmer last Sunday

Miss Anna L. Darnbrough, teacher of the Pleasant Hill school at Belleville, was in our city on Saturday, visiting friends

Mrs. Philip Bishop and children left for her home at Red Bud on Tuesday, after a visit of several weeks here with her parents

Mrs. Peter Baumgaertner returned to her home at Okawville last Sunday evening, after a visit of several weeks with relatives in this city

The Misses Emily Kissel and Maggie Jakobs returned from St. Louis on Tuesday, where they were employed in a wholesale millinery establishment as trimmers

Mrs. Dr. Rembe and her sister, Miss Nellie Hogshead attended the graduating exercises at the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, which took place last Tuesday night

Mr. Thomas J. Harryman, a prominent politician of this place, left for Springfield last Monday morning.  The effects of his skillful engineering is evinced by the fact that Palmer was speedily elected after his appearance on the field of battle.  He should have gone up there seven weeks ago

Return To The Main Page